Re: [CH] Spice mill or grinder - Follow-up

Doug Irvine (dougandmarie@shaw.ca)
Thu, 30 Sep 2010 07:57:39 -0700

  On 10-09-30 5:51 AM, Jonathan Smillie wrote:
>  It sounds like the VitaMix might be the way to go. Thanks to all who
> recommended it; I will hunt around for one. I have one of those "as
> seen on TV" dehydrators as well... I've used it to dry a couple of
> generations of chiles and quite a few years' worth of rosemary and
> basil leaves as well.
Jonathan, I have an old 3600 Plus which I use to grind rye kernels to
flour! No other flour mill required, as it will take the rye kernels
down to powder. These things are so powerful that they will cook stuff
if not careful! Go to the VitaMix web site and check out their videos.
BTW, I found that machine at a Sally Anne Thrift shop, paid 15 bucks for
it! And I now know what they sell for new! :-) !! Gotta love a bargain,
right?
As to your dehydrator not getting peppers dry enough, try drying the
dehydrated peppers in a very slow oven for about 5 - 6 hours and then
grinding them. All I have ever used is a really old Braun coffee
grinder, and it does the job. Never have used the VitaMix for peppers,
but knowing how it works with rye kernels, I should try it. Unless you
have a bunch of those little silica gel drying packs which is what I use
and stuff one in the jar with the powder, I have no other idea to
suggest. You know the ones that come in stuff, marked DO NOT EAT! Keep
away from children, etc!
Reason I bought the machine in the first place was to grind flour, as I
wished to build a sourdough starter. Which I did! My sourdough rivals
any that I have ever eaten, and my starter is now about 10 years old.
Lives in the back of the fridge, sleeping! Every so often I take some
out, wake it up, feed it, and make another batch of bread!
Cheers,

old Doug on Vancouver Island BC