Re: [CH] Spice mill or grinder - Follow-up

Jonathan Smillie (jonathan.smillie@gmail.com)
Thu, 30 Sep 2010 08:51:15 -0400

  It sounds like the VitaMix might be the way to go. Thanks to all who
recommended it; I will hunt around for one. I have one of those "as seen
on TV" dehydrators as well... I've used it to dry a couple of
generations of chiles and quite a few years' worth of rosemary and basil
leaves as well.

The other question I have is (and the VitaMix approach might deal with
this) - I find that no matter how well I dehydrate my chiles, after the
powder has sat around in jars or bags for a while, it tends to clump a
bit because of residual moisture (either in the chiles or perhaps local
humidity). There's the old trick of putting a few grains of rice in with
the powder to absorb moisture, but has anyone done anything a bit more
high-tech? Food-grade silica gel, for example? What have you had your
best results with?