Re: [CH] no response - my bad

Gary Smith (gars@thelovelyjanet.com)
Thu, 30 Sep 2010 20:24:41 -0700 (PDT)

Ahhh - this may be the primary answer.  I apologize
 for not realizing the list is text only.  I did include
 images and that probably lead to the request not being circulated.

 The images were posted on Facebook, but not everyone is on FB.

 Let me describe my mystery chile and if anyone wants images
 I will send them to the individual.

 I've got a chile that is not what I planted and I am asking
 for help in identifying it.

 It's a small shruuby bush about the same size and shape as
 NuMex Twilight or Pretty Purple.  The leaves are lance shaped.
 The blossom is milky white and fruit pendant - this all speaks
 of a C.annuum.
 However, when I extract seeds the placenta and seeds come out
 as a mash, rather than attached to a corky strand or pulp like
 I expect from annuums and more what I've seen in C.frutescens
 like Tabasco, Siling Labuyo or Malagueta.  The skin is also
 very thin - more like the frutescens.

 The pods ripen from emerald (serrano) green to red very quickly...
 usually on the oredr of two days.

 I estimate the heat to be about 60,000 SUs with a good crunch
 when green.  It softens considerably when ripe.

 The pods are pendant shaped with a rounded pointabout 5/8" in
 length and 3/8" diameter on the stem end.

 It's a great chile and one I plan to keep growing, but I don't
 have a clue what it is.

 Thanks again for the heads-up about the images, Dave.

 gary