Re: [CH] Red Savina vs. Bhut Jolokia

Jonathan Smillie (jonathan.smillie@gmail.com)
Fri, 22 Oct 2010 10:51:05 -0400

I have grown Jolokias this year for the first time, and there is no
mistaking them, certainly not side-by-side, for any kind of habanero.
Very different appearance - long, with a rough and bumpy exterior unique
in my personal experience.

As to the heat and flavor, my observations are that

- the Jolokia has not only a sharper (more immediately observable) heat
than the habanero, but that it builds for longer before achieving its
full strength, so that while the very first taste might not give a
sensation of overpowering heat, it will build up to a much greater level
- that it is more profound (lingers for a longer period on the tongue
and in the mouth),
- that it is an actual physical heat (while habaneros feel "chile-pepper
hot", the Jolokia feels as if I have actually put something that is
temperature-hot in my mouth, as if I've drunk coffee that is too hot).

Note that I have not yet been foolhardy enough to eat a whole (or even a
sizable chunk of a part of) one by itself. These observations are based
on mixing chopped Jolokia into salsa in the same proportions as I
normally would habanero; most recently, I minced one Jolokia the size of
two habaneros and put it in about two cups of salsa, and I find that
while not every bite is overpoweringly hot, I end up after a half cup or
so feeling that I have eaten something that pushes the top end of my
heat scale.

Jonathan