Re: [CH] Deep frying turkey was Jim's Fiery Habanero Sauce

(no name) (rlwat@uswest.net)
Sat, 21 Aug 1999 15:33:48 -0500

Tom wrote:
> Sorry, but it ain't that simple. You need a special outfit, ...

What kind?

> ...including a big steel pot, a  mechanism for lowering and raising the bird,

Got that, and a wire basket that fits the pot.
And, I'm sure I can find a helper--or two-- to lift it out, if needed.

> ...and a means of monitoring the temp of the oil, ...

Would my old deep fat/candy thermometer do?

> and an adequate propane heater.

Would an electric double-burner work?  I do have a propane single-burner, too.

=Mark wrote:
> Could you provide the conversion tables for changing the US minutes to
> European or Asian minutes?

OH! I see what you mean, =Mark.  3.5 minutes is a tad on the underdone side for
my liking.
When I do deep fried chicken wings, it's about 15 mins per batch for a crispy
wing. I would suppose a whole turkey *might* take a tiny bit longer.

Of course, low-pressure deep frying may be short on timing. I'll check that out
and give that a try, too. That is, if I can find that pesky weight, and the
rubber gasket is still good.

Say, Tom are you talking low-pressure frying? Is that the "outfit" that you
mentioned?

SandyO wrote:

> You're coming to the Iowa/MN hotluck on Sunday, right?  Well...I'll tell
> you all about deep-fried turkey.

Yep, I'll be at the IA/MN Hotluck tomorrow, Sandy. And, I'll expect to here more
details on turkey frying.

Thanks all. Sorry for the off-topic thread, but to bring us back to topic:
I try Jim's Fiery Habanero Sauce as a marinade (which is where this thread began
in the first place) and, of course, I'll consider almost any suggests for
appropriate poultry marinades that will make the turkey tasty and hot.

Renee