Re: [CH] Deep frying turkey was Jim's Fiery Habanero Sauce

=Mark (mstevens@exit109.com)
Sat, 21 Aug 1999 17:04:32 -0400

At 03:33 PM 8/21/99 -0500, Renee Watson, Minneapolis ,Minnesota USA USDA
Zone 4a wrote:
>Tom wrote:
>> Sorry, but it ain't that simple. You need a special outfit, ...
>
>> and an adequate propane heater.
>
>Would an electric double-burner work?

I would not try this indoors, the possibility of a real disaster is too
great, and trying to lower a turkey into a large pot at range-top height
would be awfully clumsy.  At the desired temp the oil tends to really foam
up when first lowering the turkey, and it has to be done really slowly...

>I do have a propane single-burner, too.

Probably not, unless the burner you mention is one of the big guys on
steroids!  You really need to crank out the BTUs to heat up and maintain
the oil temp.  They sell special rigs for turkey frying, crab and shrimp or
corn boiling,  They consist of a heavy duty propane burner and stand, a 10
gallon pot and a perforated inner strainer for crabs and shrimp.  For the
turkeys there is a special stand that has a rod that passes through the
turkey and is suspended by a horizontal rod with handles.  The turkey is
held standing vertically and is raised and lowered by 2 people using the
horizontal rod.

You could probably improvise a way to suspend the turkey, but the burner
and pot are pretty essential.

                    =Mark "Runs With Scissors" Stevens

                @ http://www.exit109.com/~mstevens @
                                  @ ICQ# 2059548 @