Re: [CH] Program to resize .JPG photos

Andy Barnhart (quark@erols.com)
Sat, 18 Sep 1999 13:12:10 -0400

Doug & Judy,

Doug Goldenberg wrote:

> Hey - saw many of you have web sites with chile pictures.... <snip>
> they turn out to huge sized, so that you can only see maybe
> 1/5 of the picture at a time.  Do you know of a program that
> resizes the photos (without losing resolution or proportion)?  <snip>

I have a new toy, a Nikon 950 Digital camera  -- it is just great!
But, I have the same task as you:  on its "normal" setting I get ~400 K byte
pictures.

******
I use two programs:

1)  For all pictures that I intend to doing something with I use:
     " ThumbsPlus"  Cerious Software - http://www.cerious.com/
      Cataloging, viewing, cropping, RESIZING, color & quality adjustments,
jpeg cleanup, ...
      Quick, easy.  But works on *whole* image.

      I used this to adjust & resize the chile fest photos I put on my website:

            http://users.erols.com/abarnhart

2)  For pictures that require attention to specific areas, or create manual
text/art:
      Paint Shop Pro 5 - http://www.jasc.com/
      Adjusting/correction of specific areas in pictures: e.g. manual  red-eye
elimination.
      Creating web art:  e.g. The "Barnhart" banner on my first page.

Each can be obtained for under $100.
Hope this helps.
Andy