RE: [CH] CH Sausage

Michael Bowers (bowers@elsie.ucdavis.edu)
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 09:25:26 PDT

>I just got me an electric meat grinder to use for making some home made sausage.
>I've got a book on order but thought I'd check with the CHeads to see what great
>recipes you may have.  I'm not sure that I want to use casings, just make it and
>freeze it in Tupperware containers.  Anything to worry about with freezing this?

	no, or use freezer bags.

	This is a great recipe from Mark Miller:

Yucatan White Sausage

1 1/4 Lb pork butt w/fat, cut into 1" cubes
3/4 lb chicken breast meat, no skin or fat, cut into 1" cubes
1/3 lb fat back (pork fat; I just use fattier butt), cut into 1" cubes
10 serrano chiles (or, use green habaneros!), chopped
1/4 C white wine
1 clove garlic, minced
1 C cilantro leaves, packed
1 Tbs sugar
1 Tbs salt
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1 egg

Mix all ingredients except egg.  Chill in freezer for 1 hour, also chill all
parts of meat grinder.

Grind meat mixture, and mix w/egg.  Form into patties or force into casings.
Cook over medium low heat until well browned, about 5 min /side.

The heat of the fresh green chiles will dissapate  after a few days

Mike