Re: [CH] is it possible to extract vinegar

Robert Dunbar (samuel@fgi.net)
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 19:36:17 -0600

Robert A Reed wrote:

> One of the most common ingredients in hot sauce is vinegar . Unfortunatly
> it's an ingredient  that I don't care to much for. And as I buy and use
> large quantities of many varities of hot sauce I would like to know if
> anyone has come up with a way to redice the amount of vinegar in
> comercially available hot sauces

I think that the only way that you could use without a chem laboratory is to
carefully heat the sauce to just below boiling.  The water and vinegar in the
sauce will evaporate, leaving a steadily pasty mix.  Add the fluid of your
choice (I'd use lime juice) as the sauce dries to keep it sauce-like and
taste frequently to determine the level of vinegar reduction.  I've never
tried this; I like vinegar.  But if I were goint to attempt to extract the
vinegar, that's how I'd do it.  Use a cheap sauce to experiment on, might
want to use a double-boiler to stabilize the temperature.

NutCaseBob