Re: [CH] Rice Cooker

Kristofer Blennow (kristofer@blennow.se)
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 07:49:25 +0100

Blake Olson wrote:

> I love rice and have looked at the cookers several times but the
> concept always ends seeming silly.

>  It's another electrical appliance

Since I doomed the bread machine 10 years ago, and recently found
that some of my most trusted food friends STILL use one, I have grown
a bit cautious about judging appliances... ;)   It's another
appliance, but it's not JUST another one.

>  It won't make rice any better than a decent saucepan.

Very true, if you are really experienced, and keep your timing.

But the good thing about rice cookers is that they make perfect rice
EVERY time (sounds like an infomercial...), even if you have no clue
what you are doing. If you measure the rice and water right, and
remember to rinse the rice properly (always do that), you need no
other experience. I love rice, still, I must confess that I often
fail without the rice cooker.

>  It's harder to clean.

Not really. Mine is non-stick, and you really only need to take the
bowl out and clean it just like any other pan. The machine itself
does not really need any complicated cleaning.

>  You have to store it UNDER THE BED?????

[insert knuckle-dragging comment here]

>  it takes up room on the counter.

True. And LOTS. But it does create your image of being a rice snob in
touch with the Asian culture... ;)  well, at least to the people
still eating parboiled rice...  of course the top rice snob won't use
such a cheap trick as a rice cooker.

Kris

Kristofer Blennow   Non Sive Sive, Sed Et Et
Physical location: [close to] Stockholm, Sweden
WWW location:       http://www.blennow.se/