Re: [CH] Drying Hot Peppers..

Dave Drum (xrated@cityscape.net)
Wed, 01 Dec 1999 09:07:45 -0600

Rich McCormack wrote:

> > > I got a tip from a lady who dries figs and was having a problem with them
> > > going mouldy... She dips them in boiling water for a few seconds. No more
> > > mold spores, no more bacteria, end of problem.
>
> > > I started doing my peppers this way.... no problems with rot. Your mileage
> > > may vary.

> > Last week on television in a cooking program I watched, they did some
> > suggestions to make spiced oils and vinegar's to give away as X-Mas
> > presents.
>

> > They did the same with all the herbs, and peppers too, before they put them
> > in the oil etc.
> > for better preserving and to avoid botulism problems they said.
> > Hot regards
> > Rob
>
> OK, I suppose, for drying...but not of any value, safetywise, for
> making flavored oils.  A dip in boiling water for a few seconds
> might kill molds and some bacteria (though I remain skeptical),
> but it won't kill Clostridium botulinum...that takes sustained
> temperatures of 240 to 250 degrees fahrenheit.
>
> And, don't even think of dipping dried chiles or herbs into boiling
> water before adding to oil for making flavored oils.  That would
> just rehydrate 'em and add moisture.  Low acid, moisture, anaerobic
> envoironment...just what Clostridium botulinum needs to grow and
> produce its poisonous toxin.

So? Anyone with a brain in their head knows to store the oil in temperatures under
40oF.... like - keep it in the ice box. Anyone too dense to do that who gets
killed by the gawdawfulshagnasties I chalk up to evolution in action. Darwin *was
right*, you know

ENJOY!!!
--------
UNCLE DIRTY DAVE'S KITCHEN --
Home of Yaaaaa Hooooo Aaahhh!!! HOT SAUCE and Hardin Cider