Re: [CH] Oven drying (was hiya)

tucker (tucker@ticon.net)
Tue, 09 Mar 1999 15:12:06 -0600

Alex Silbajoris wrote:

> Yes, the slow, low oven approach works well.  I did it with an electric
> oven set down to 200 or so.
>
> It makes the house smell like whatever peppers you have in there.  I love
> to be in a home permeated with the aroma of habs, it ought to be the
> incense of the TCS rituals.  Once I attended a dinner party at which the
> menu was entirely from a habanero cookbook (by DeWitt?  Right?  I've seen
> it but I can't cite the title, I want it).  The whole townhouse smelled of
> habs along with various other Indo-Asian spice aromas...

  Alex,-
  I believe you are making reference to "The Habanero Cookbook" by Dave DeWitt
and Nancy Gerlach. Published by Ten Speed Press (of course), ISBN
0-89815-638-6, suggested retail price $17.95. (Soft cover) I have had this
particular book for a little over two years now, and I must say it looks great
on the bookshelf. I also understand there are apparently recipes and other
info. inside. I seem to recall looking through it a bit when I first got it;
but then I got married. My wife isn't exactly a huge C-H, so I usually just
sprinkle a little Calvin's (Mmmmm!) or whatever's handy on my dinners. Anything
made from the book would undoubtedly be a meal for one here. ;-) I have been
drying pods in our electric oven at it's lowest (170 degrees) setting for two
seasons now, and as for the aroma of drying pods, I agree with you 100%. Except
for the time we accidentally reset the oven temp. to it's default 350 degree
setting after it finished it's pre-heat cycle. Luckily there weren't too many
pods in there at the time.
-E.-