[CH] Cats Eating Leaves/Was Re: Aphids & Whiteflies

green56 (green56@PioneerPlanet.infi.net)
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 05:06:49 -0600

Chris Meredith wrote:

> I was washing the dishes tonight and noticed that all the leaves except one
> had fallen off. I pointed it out to my wife and she made
>   the comment that I would "never learn" . I chased her down to find out
> what she meant and she said that she found the cats Happily
>   munching on my plants this a.m,.
>
> I was unaware the cats like citrus
>
> -Chris

Sorry, 'Heads.  Sent my smart-a$$ed comment off and then had another thought.

Chris, I'd read here before about cats - yourn most likely!  ;) - eating the
leaves o'the chile plants.

I've always wanted to try over wintering some chiles, but have never done so
for this specific reason.  I've cats, Abyssinians, and one moggie, that DEVOUR
floral arrangements and house plants.  Hence, I've not had either in years.

I'm afraid to bring any chiles in and try over wintering them because I know
they're in the Nighshade family and am terrified I'll lose one (or more!) of my
beloved pets.

You smart chemistry folks, do you know anything about this?  Obviously, Chris'
fur kids have survived, but is this the usual?  Some wild creatures can eat
poison ivy with no ill affects, but humans can't.  Is this the case with cats
and chile leaves/stems?  Are they non-toxic to cats?

Or, are Chris' Siamese speeding thru those collective 18 lives????

green