[CH] Re: Canola Crisis

Dave Anderson (Chilehead@tough-love.com)
Tue, 22 Feb 2000 18:54:22 -0800

Hi Deb:

I'm really busy trying to figure out how to keep the gene-splicers
out of the chile patch, so I nominate you as Canola Crisis
Coordinator:-) Hopefully Rael will second.

This whole mess started when I looked up Frito-Lay on the Alta
Vista search engine and found that the folks from Pepsi voted with
their wallets and have asked their corn suppliers to not use
Genetically Engineered corn for 2000. Some felt that this might be
a marketing coup for Frito-Lay if they could advertise that their
foods hadn't been gene-spliced. Unfortunately they can't because
some of the oils which they extrude their corn chips into may be
genetically incorrect. This led to our old friends Calgene and
Canola.

Please report back to us:-)

Dave Anderson
Tough Love Chile Co.