Re: [CH] pronunciation

Calvin Donaghey (gdonaghey@bitstreet.com)
Fri, 06 Feb 1998 20:11:34 -0600

PegVA@aol.com wrote:

> << I don't want to get caught up on semantics or anything, but I would like
>  > to know a few things.
>  >
>  > First regarding pronunciation -
>  >
>  > I always pronounce habanero with a silent "h", like <ah-ben-arow> whereas
>  > a friend says <hab> (as in "have") - either or? >
>
> Having taken quite a bit of spanish in High School and College, I'd say "ah-
> bin-ero"... Okay, having said that, I called Salsa Express a couple of days
> ago and placed an order for the Ultra Hot Six pack of hot sauces, the Fire-
> Breathin Four Pack of Salsas and the Habanero Olives from Hell (OH, I can't
> wait!!).  The operator (who had a decidedly "Mexican" accent) asked me if I
> wanted one more item as I would then receive a discount.  I said sure and I
> promptly added the Habanero Peppers From Hell.  Now she (the operator that is)
> definately pronounced it "ah-bin-ero"!  So, for what it's worth...
> peg

Peg-
	I fully agree IF you are speaking Spanish.  But how do you pronounce
the capital of Cuba, in English, for which the pepper is named?  I
generally hear it with a hard H, and no H if the speaker is a native or
speaking Spanish or Portugese.  That's why I have always used the H
sound.  Ah, but, a rose by any other name will still smell as sweet, and
I certainly won't start an argument over something as minor as my weak
understanding of Spanish.  Luckily, we all know what the subject is
regardless of how it is said, and that is the basis for communication.
I bow to Peg, and admit that the fluent spanish-speaking produce
supplier I use does not use the H in naming the pepper.

Smelling the rose, enjoying the heat.
                                       Calvin