Re: [CH] pronunciation

=Mark (mstevens@exit109.com)
Sat, 07 Feb 1998 15:28:31 -0500

At 08:11 PM 2/6/98 -0600, Calvin Donaghey wrote:
>Peg-
>	I fully agree IF you are speaking Spanish.  But how do you pronounce
>the capital of Cuba, in English, for which the pepper is named?  I
>generally hear it with a hard H, and no H if the speaker is a native or
>speaking Spanish or Portugese.  That's why I have always used the H
>sound.

If we were to try to pronounce all words of hispanic origin the way native
hispanics do, wouldn't the "x" in Texas be silent?

Reminds me of a skit on Saturday Night Live a long time ago that spoofed
the practice of TV newscasters attempting to affect hispanic accents when
referring to people or countries with Spanish names.  Was quite amusing...

                            =Mark

@   http://www.exit109.com/~mstevens   @

Where ya from?
                             Jersey.