Re: [CH] Passion fruit

Console IIcx (tfnews@gate.net)
Fri, 03 Apr 1998 23:22:53 +2709

Gregory wrote:
Snip

> I was lucky enough to find some passion fruits at a local grocery store
> yesterday.  Does anybody know of

Gregory,

   Passionfruit makes a great fruit syrup (reduce as for any fruit
syrup), can also be frozen, jellied, used in baked goods and makes
dynamite wine. (Spice the wine with chile peppers?)

   For the sauce you might make a syrup, sweetened to taste, and add
habs.

   No fruit? Might be that you need to hand pollinate. Many Passiflora
are not self fertile and you need to take pollen from different plants.
Grow them from separate seed, if you propagate by cuttings the two will
be identical clones. Even if self fertile, hand pollination may be
necessary.

   The native P. caurela is harvested for leaves that are sent to Europe
where they extract 'Passifloren' which is used as a natural relaxant.

   The Rare Fruit Council publishes Tropical Fruit News Magazine (I edit
TFNews but this is only a minor plug) and they frequently have
Passiflora seed in their seed exchange for a low cost. If you really
want to take the passiflora further and can't find seed contact me and
I'll send some next time I have some. BTW the hard fruit are ripe for
eating when quite wrinkled.

   Visit our home page for more info on tropical fruit, the RFCI and
TFNews

   Best of growing,

   Bob Cannon II
   Editor Tropical Fruit News