Re: [CH] Pepper Question....

Michael Bailes (frgntgar@ozemail.com.au)
Sun, 19 Apr 1998 20:36:55 +1000

At 6:03 AM +1000 16/4/98, Steve Rucci <rucci@worldnet.att.net> (by way of
Mary Going wrote:
>Greetings.  I was browsing around and found your web site.  I have a
>question, and I hope you can help answer it.  I've been growing hot
>peppers since last year.  (just a whim, but I enjoy it)  Anyway, I
>bought a few plants from a nursery, just getting whatever, hoping to get
>a winner.  Two of the plants I got are fairly unique in my opinion.  (At
>least my limited knowledge about peppers makes them unique to me.)  The
>first one had black stems and branches, and black leaves (they start out
>green to dark green & then turn this black color).  They produce very
>nice looking purple blooms and when the peppers grow, they are also
>BLACK.  They stay this way until finally turning red.  The peppers
>themselves are very small.  The biggest ones are usually no bigger than
>about 1/4 inch. in diameter and stay fairly round - Hot taste.  (close
>to the beginning of winter, the entire stalk & branches turned a
>bleached white color, leaves still green/black, but the plant is still
>alive, and producing again now)
Sounds like a chilitepin but unlikely you purchased this at an Australian
Nursery
>The second plant was normal looking, compared to the first one.  It's
>typical green leaves and has white blooms with a little bit of purple in
>the center.  When the peppers grow, they are BRIGHT PURPLE, eventually
>turn orange, and finally red.  They are a pointed-shaped pepper and grow
>to about 1 - 1 1/2 inches long  -  Hot taste.
Perhaps Bolivian Rainbow.
>Question is:  What kind of peppers are they???  The only answer I have
>is that the purple one came with a nursery tag that said "Masquerade"
>but this doesn't sound right to me.
Steve
many of the ornamentals are just given a pretty name, not just in OZ but in
USA too.
(see the list  of 200 on our web site)
I would need to see the plants for abetter guess at names.
why can't you ask the nursery that sold you the plants?

Michael Bailes.
The Fragrant Garden, Portsmouth Road, Erina. N.S.W. 2250 Australia. (OZ)
 Int fax 61 243 651979  Phone 61 243 677322
 EMAIL: frgntgar@ozemail.com.au
  Web page at: http://www.ozemail.com.au/~frgntgar/
Free newsletters at: http://www.ozemail.com.au/~frgntgar/newsletters/