Re: [CH] Vegetarian Chile-Head resources?

Charles Demas (demas@tiac.net)
Mon, 27 Apr 1998 17:33:42 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 27 Apr 1998, =Mark wrote:

> At 10:43 AM 4/26/98 -0400, Dan Cole wrote:
> >My girlfriend and I have just begun stepping lightly into the world of
> >Chile-Heads, but we are encountering some problems. She is a vegetarian
> >(I'm not), and I am having trouble locating appropriate recipes for her. A
> >further complication is that I will not eat any of the various "meat
> >substitutes", so we need recipes that we can both enjoy.
> >
> >Anyone aware of any web sites out there catering to (or at least
> >recognizing) such lifestyles?
>
> I've got some vegetarian Indian recipes at:
>
> http://www.exit109.com/~mstevens/indian.shtml

Those jerked portabella mushrooms Mark makes aren't bad either.  :-)

And what about Chile Relanos, or is she one of those I don't do any animal
product Vegans?  Some vegitarians eat cheese, and eggs.  Some eat fish,
and some even eat chicken.

FWIW, there are some textured vegetable protein things that are actually
tasty, having tried them at some cookins (rec.food.cooking).

Ratatouille, and vegetable casseroles using sliced summer or zuccini
squash, potatoes, onions, and tomato (spaghetti) sauce, along with
whatever chiles and spices you like are quite nice. Add some celery,
garlic, parsley, olive oil, etc if using tomato sauce.

I tried some curried rice from Trader Joe's that has chile peppers, apple,
raisins, peas, and other veggie stuff in it (frozen food) and it was
really good.  OK, Trader Joe's is one of my favorite stores.  I like
their Jalopena Chicken Chimichangas (package of 2 for $2.29) a lot.
Yeah, I'm a meat eater.  Being a vegitarian is a lot of work, IMO.

Chuck Demas
Needham, Mass.

  Eat Healthy    |   _ _   | Nothing would be done at all,
  Stay Fit       |   @ @   | If a man waited to do it so well,
  Die Anyway     |    v    | That no one could find fault with it.
  demas@tiac.net |  \___/  | http://www.tiac.net/users/demas