Re: [CH] To boldly go...

Rich McCormack (macknet@cts.com)
Fri, 29 May 1998 07:40:44 -0700

YYZkid@aol.com wrote:

> Rich wrote:

> >My chipotles have always come out pungent and smokey without a hint
> >of bitterness.  Smoking meat or sausages and smoking chiles is not
> >the same thing.  Trust me, a handfull of soggy hickory chips ain’t
> >gonna make it!
>
> What might cause the jalapeno to take on a pungent flavor rather than a
>  smooth, woodsy character? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?  :)

Poor choice of word on my part...when I think pungent, I think hot
and pleasant spicyness where others think negative acridness.  So,
disregard my previous use of pungent and substitute "hot, spicy,
and pleasant smokyness.

> This still doesn't change the fact that noxious chemicals are being deposited
>  onto said chiles. I found it hard to believe, too, but the proof is in the
>  tasting. Skepticism aside, it is definitely worth a try.
>
> My point? Some of the world's greatest sauces were unquestionably the result
>  of numerous prior failures. It would serve us well in the cooking world to
>  keep an open mind while we search for the ultimate recipe, whether you're a
>  well-versed chile freak or an everyday, common "BBQ chef."

I think you missed my point, probably because I didn't present it very
well.  There is no relationship between smoking chiles and BBQing meat
other than the fact that a BBQ can be used as a makeshift smoker for
making chipotles.  The only comparison to smoking chiles and smoking
meat that I can think of might be cold smoking sausages, hams, etc.
When one is BBQing, there is more than mere wood smoke present, 'cause
you're adding fat to the fire...literaly; and, I've seen it mentioned
that the smoke from the burning fat and meat juices might be a source
of negative health consequences...not that I'm going to let a little
thing like negative health consequences stop me from BBQing.  With
chiles, it's just low heat and smoke...no fat.  Also, with BBQ the
last thing you want the meat to do is shrivel up and dry out...with
chiles that's exactly what you want.

If you have web browsing capabilities (Is there anyone who doesn't
now days?), pay a visit to my webpages (completely non-commercial,
no sales pitch...well, other than a little political opinion, but you
don't have to follow those links).  Follow the chiles.  I describe a
simple way to make chipotles and offer a recipe for making Chipotles
en Adobo.  FWIW -- pureed Chipotles en Adobo is my favorite BBQ sauce.

--
Rich McCormack (Poway, CA) macknet@cts.com

Who is Rich McCormack?  Find out at:
http://www.free.cts.com/crash/m/macknet/