Re: [CH] garden disaster

=Mark (mstevens@exit109.com)
Fri, 29 May 1998 10:47:00 -0400

At 10:20 AM 5/29/98 -0500, Coyote Moon wrote:
>Hi everybody,
>
>I had a disaster in my chile garden and wondered if anyone can
>give me information -
>
>Our garden is separated from the neighbor by a fence.  Next to the
>fence we planted flowers and about a foot beyond that, started rows
>of chiles.  The neighbor wanted to kill vines that were on the fence,
>and sprayed a chemical weed killer at the base of the fence.
>Needless to say, our flowers are now dead.  My question is,
>how far away is "safe" for the chiles?  The plants seem healthy, but
>we're worried about eating the chiles that would grow from the plants if
>the ground was contaminated.

Modern herbicides affect metabolic processes that exist only in plants, and
have little if no biological effects on animals in small doses.  You will
know if the chiles recieve more than a small dose in that they will die.
Therefore, if they don't die they will be safe to eat.  Now pesticides are
another matter...

                                                    =Mark

                      @ http://www.exit109.com/~mstevens @
                                        @ ICQ# 2059548 @

                        I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me
                                   than a pre-frontal lobotomy...