[CH] The Bread and Endorphins

Charles Demas (demas@tiac.net)
Sat, 18 Jul 1998 02:19:56 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 17 Jul 1998, =Mark wrote:

> The hottest versions of Jims bread I've sampled could only be eaten in
> pieces about the size of half a sugar cube.  Even this size would
> immobilize you for about 5 minutes and render you unable to taste anything
> for about 20 minutes.  I would have to think a "hefty slice" would pretty
> much be fatal.

I tried "The Bread" at Jim McGrath's Boston Hotluck last fall, and
I too thought it was hot, but I ate what was about 1/2 a slice of
a normal piece of white bread.  Jim's bread is a pink color.

The heat does indeed build, and it stays with you.  Even several
minutes later, just swallowing your saliva, you feel it burn going
down.  It does go away, after a while, maybe 15 minutes.

I don't seem to recognize these endorphines that everyone seems to be
talking about, though.  I do occasionally get the hiccups if I
sample something that's very hot.  Maybe I'm not going far enough to
get the endorphines released, or maybe I just don't notice them.

My doctor does say that I seem to have a high threshhold of pain.
Maybe I get those endorphins released a lot of the time, so I don't
notice a sudden rush of them from hot food.

Does anyone else react this way?

Chuck Demas
Needham, Mass.

  Eat Healthy    |   _ _   | Nothing would be done at all,
  Stay Fit       |   @ @   | If a man waited to do it so well,
  Die Anyway     |    v    | That no one could find fault with it.
  demas@tiac.net |  \___/  | http://www.tiac.net/users/demas