Re: [CH] OT Freezers

tucker (tucker@ticon.net)
Tue, 22 May 2001 17:05:08 -0500

Matt Prerost wrote:

> ... So I am looking for some recommendations from list members who might
>
> own  one.  Brands?  Sizes?  Uprights or chests?  Any lemons?  I
> noticed one called a Avante had a interior that was made a of some
> type a metal and had a scraper.  It was a little to small for my
> taste.  My parents had one when I was little but it broke and they
> never got another one. ...Matt

  I hope I don't jinx the folks here, but...  My parents have a GE (I
think) chest model that has been used non-stop for as long as I can
remember.  This means that this particular freezer has been in constant
use for at least 25 - 30 years (I don't remember much before age three or
so...).  I think my in-laws have a very similar model that has to be
almost as old.  Now keep in mind my folks were farmers, and so were their
families, so this is a chest freezer you could just about lay in, and
stack three or four close friends (or Rael's Chile-Maidens) on top of
you.  (Plus, they had a locker rented at the "local" meat processor's.  We
ate a lot of veggie / potato / roasted hunk of some dead animal dinners
when I was a kid.  (I think that's why I'm a C-H now; too many bland
dinners when I was growing up.)  Now my in-laws have always been
suburbanites, so I don't know what their deal is; stocking up on stuff,
just like you I guess...

  Just my personal experience.  Good luck!

--
Erich
C-H # 2099