Re: [CH] Here we go again...

mstevens@exit109.com
Thu, 23 Aug 2001 19:31:20 GMT

At 02:47 PM 8/23/01 -0400, Chet Bacon wrote:
>Basically what burns me now is what I want to burn me down the road.. i.e...
hot
>chile peppers!
>What I am concerned with is the fact that thousands of "experimental areas"
are
>being farmed without any safe guards to crossing into an adjacent area.  Bees
that
>I keep don't ask whether or not they are cross pollinating modified plants or
not,
>they are just into collecting food supplies - upwards to 5-6 miles away.
>Without any kind of standards or safe practices we could, and have gotten
ourselves
>into trouble.  I, personally, am glad there are people out there that cry wolf
and
>are genuinely concerned about their health and mine.

I've been concerned with the spread of peppers bred to be mild even prior to
the GMO era.  Has anyone else gotten heatless jalepenos at the store in recent
years?

What bothers me about those scaremongering about any use of GM products is that
they demand zero risk.  It ain't gonna happen.  Life is a terminal condition.
Those going on and on about how we are polluting the environment and poisoning
ourselves with unknown products seem to ignore the fact that we are living
longer healthier lives than at any point in Human history.  These folks fill
the airwaves and newsprint with all the horrors that might happen, yet are
unable to cite one single instance where there was any type of reaction to a GM
product.  Judging from some of the reactions to folks eating hot chiles I'm
surprised there has not been a movement to ban them!

http://chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/oped/chi-0108190262aug19.story

=Mark