Re: [CH] making dry habs

Susan Byers (chilewmn@bluemarble.net)
Wed, 18 Sep 2002 18:03:48 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 14 Sep 2002 jim@wildpepper.com wrote:

> Not in these parts!  Ristra drying (air drying) generally won't work in
> these more humid climes.  Even in New Mex (10% relative humidity) you'll
> still get pods that will have molded first.

I have to disagree here as I sell about 50 of these a week at Farmer's
Market. There are many chiles that dry well in ristras....and many that
don't. Most chinense types won't work and New Mex/Poblano are too big for
our humid climate. So string thin chiles individually instead of in
batches of
three and you'll have nice airdried peppers. Probably my most popular are
Takanotsume and Mirasol ristras and the small Thais. (I can't believe I
have the patience to make those).
Susan
The Chile Woman