Re: [CH] Fatalii newbie

Mike Pierce (chileheadmike@comcast.net)
Sun, 8 Aug 2004 09:14:04 -0500

I've grown fataliis each of the last 3 years, cept last year when the long
eared rats ate all my plants. I get them from Cross Country Nurseries and
they have been orange when ripe. And darn hot. Not grown RS but if in the
same range I wouldn't be able to tell the diffence. I grew devil's tounges
one year and they looked and tasted similar. I've only had one get ripe so
far, but the plant is loaded. Its going to be a painful late summer...

Mike

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Farr - The Chile Man" <rbfarr@erols.com>
To: "Love2Troll" <Love2Troll@kc.rr.com>
Cc: "chile-heads" <chile-heads@globalgarden.com>
Sent: Sunday, August 08, 2004 8:42 AM
Subject: Re: [CH] Fatalii newbie

> I don't think anyone but - oh, heck!  What's their name, in CA (the
> breeder) - is allowed to sell Red Savina seeds.  Renee Shepherd, maybe?
> So you prob. just got Caribbean Red seeds (def. not as hot as RS), or
> some bootleg variety - which might explain the lack of heat.
>
> Have to say, tho', that RS (and Francisca) vary greatly in heat levels.
> Don't think this has all been worked out quite properly in breeding.
>
> Yes, Fatalis are yellow when ripe!
>
> Love2Troll wrote:
>
> >The only years I grew Red Savina were '01 & '02 and mine did not even
remotely live up to their reputation of being the world's hottest.  Seeds
were packaged by Northrop King I think.  This years Fatalii are much hotter.

> >But....   how do I know what I'm growing is 'the real deal'?
> >
> >Robert, are your Fatali yellow or orange when ripe?   From online
descriptions they should be yellow.    I would describe mine as more orange
than yellow in the same way that Yellow Rocoto distinctly differs from
Orange Rocoto.  Also found it spelled 3 different ways.  (in one book
Bosland spells it Fatalli)

> >Tomorrow I'll be picking my first ever Chocolate Habanero.  Two plants
from 2 diff C-H seed sources.  Can't wait!