Re: [CH] Open Fields 2004 & Dates for 2005

Kris Kumler (kris+chile-heads@kumler.us)
Fri, 14 Jan 2005 10:38:35 -0500

On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 12:33:38PM +0000, Alex Silbajoris wrote:

> It's true that some of the ornamental varieties are still unpicked when the
> event is over.  Same with the really small-podded varieties; they're good
> stuff but few people bother picking a lot of them.  I love the pointsettas,
> they're pretty and they're very useful when dried.
>
> The orange and red habs are the bread and butter of the field, and in 04 I
> acquainted myself with the fatalis (love the way the pods squeak in hand
> when picked).
>
> The larger and milder roasting varieties are always eagerly picked, yet
> unfortunately they also seem very vulnerable to problems in the growing
> season.  Some years they're rotted on the vine and some years they're
> barely becoming ripe.  I'd like to see a larger proportion of these kinds
> of pods - new mex, poblanos, etc.
>
> The other thing I discovered on 04 was the location of our hosts, Adrian
> Orchards.  I spent my first $$ there last year and I resolve to spend there
> again as a gesture of thanks for letting us behave like lunatics on their
> land.  (We really were hanging out in the moonlight for hours last year.)
>
> - A

I must agree almost across the board with Alex.  Many of the smaller
varieties are easily grown indoors and I went after only the ones I
haven't tried before.
The chocolate habs were very good, but the fataliis were the best --
probably one of my favorite chiles right now thanks to Butch introducing
me to them at OF.  However, by the time I knew what they were like, all
the ripe ones were picked.  I managed to get some seed from a couple
though, so hopefully I can get a few this year.  I never did have much
luck with growing from seed at home -- maybe it's that forgetfulness
and such.

I should be able to spend a more than just one day up there this year
though, so I'd really like to check out the market and thank the field
owner as well.

--
Kris
OpenPGP Key Fingerprint: 14B5 9651 FC09 E576 077E F344 DFA2 1AA8 6229 5D84