Re: [CH] Chipotles - Smokers - Down Under - Seeds for 2005 OF

Love2Troll (Love2Troll@kc.rr.com)
Fri, 14 Jan 2005 09:47:47 -0600

> I have 4 plants that would like to dispute that ;-)  I think the problem is
> that they need such a long growing season that a lot of people give
> up on them late in the season just as the flowers are really kicking in.

Kris,

I think that's true for all Rocotos.  There are a few  shorter season C. pubescens that will have ripe pods by August in my growing zone.

In my experience over 50 % of the C. pube accessions will blossom by late May/early June from a Feb 15th start.  It's getting them to set pods during hot summers that seems to be the big problem.  So far I've only seen one (PI 387838) that will not self & needs another plant for pollination.  It's as 2nd year plants that C. pubescens really shine in my area and they do make nice winter house plants.

The Coast To Coast Pepper Co. (Taylor Toilets div) will be shipping seeds to Franklin IN today.

JohnT