Re: [CH] steaks

Matt Evans (tmattevans@gmail.com)
Tue, 26 Jul 2005 15:25:52 -0400

Hi, Ben --

Although I have made butter before, I am not typically quite so
adventurous.  Did you make it by whipping heavy cream until the solids
began to form?  Or, is there a better method?  Someone told me about
the Cooking for Engineers site a couple of weeks ago -- it's pretty
cool (I'm an engineer).

At any rate....green chile-blue cheese butter....  Most of my compound
butters are made by "feel", with the exception of some of the more
complex ones.  For the gc-bc butter, I typically roast, peel, and seed
some jalapenos (or similar) then chop them roughly.  Mix together a
couple of sticks of soft butter and about four ounces of soft blue
cheese until smooth.  Add a little fresh thyme, some minced
dry-roasted garlic, fold in the chopped chiles, and season to taste.
You can add some smoked paprika too, but the color gets a little funny
-- OK for the family, maybe not for guests.

As for a good chile butter, I like to make mojo-chipotle butter.  Take
about a cup of minced garlic and two cups of olive oil in a saucepan
over the lowest heat you can muster.  After about an hour and a half,
the garlic will be soft and roasty -- very sweet.  Mix a few
tablespoons of the roasted garlic solids, some minced chipotle (2-3),
juice from half a lime, some salt, and a stick of soft butter in a
food processor until smooth.  Keep the remaining mojo in a jar in your
fridge.  The butter won't last through the meal.

An easier method is just to mix some mixed ground red chile (say,
ancho, guajillo, de Arbol, and negro) with a little bit of lime juice
and some toasted and ground cumin seed with a stick of soft butter and
some salt.  Put it in the fridge the night before and soften it to
room temperature the day you want to use it -- it will need to sit in
the fridge at least a few hours to get good.

If you're looking for more complicated compound butters, let me know.

Matt