Re: [CH] container growing question

JohnT (Love2Troll@kc.rr.com)
Mon, 17 Oct 2005 10:09:31 -0500

Hi John,

Good advice from Matt in my opinion.  A 1/2 recommended strength MG
15-30-15 every two weeks or so has always worked for me.  The last
couple years I've been inoculating my plants with a mycorrhizal
fungus so have changed to a more balanced mix such as MG 18-18-21
and more often than not use aerated compost.  I do use a premium
grade soil mix such as ProMix BX though.

Container size depends on the plant.  Most of the time I can put 2
plants in an 8 gal container and get by with it.  Some of my older
pubescens are by themselves in 18 gal containers.  Just play it by
ear and try different things.  Drives me nuts as some varieties will
get pale just because of the hot weather.

One thing that works for me is to mulch heavily around the
containers starting in early spring and not mulch in the container
until about July.  The containers are lined up on top of weed guard
fabric and the roots grow out the container bottoms and into the
heavy cooler mulch.  After adding the top mulch (I use shredded
cypress) more feeder roots will form under it.

I think overwatering is a mistake & much prefer a dry year over a
wet one, but will never say that anything I do is the way it
absolutely must be done.  If it works for you then do it.

Are your non-producing plants getting enough light?  What's the
weather been like?  BTW, this is the worst growing year I have ever
experienced.

For seed saving I like to let the pods go a little past maturity and
then dry the seeds slowly at temps below 90°.