Re: [CH] From today's Santa Fe New Mexican newspaper - Chimayo

Matt Evans (tmattevans@gmail.com)
Wed, 26 Oct 2005 20:07:40 -0400

As one who has lived in New Mexico, I would argue that this isn't
quite the same.  Chiles are (by far) the dominant export from a state
with a large farming population.  New Mexico is by no means a wealthy
state (far from it) and many fortunes rise and fall with the yearly
success of the chile crop.  Furthermore, people there are genuinely
interested in chile -- it would not be an exaggeration to say that
they are a way of life for many in the state, farmers and nonfarmers
alike.

I'm sure that the local papers in Iowa have stories about grain the
same way that local papers in New Mexico have stories about chiles,
and local papers in New Jersey have stories about toxic waste and
hypodermic needles on the beach.

Matt