Re: [CH] Residual heat in cookware

Scott Peterson (scottp4@mindspring.com)
Wed, 11 Oct 2006 13:30:03 -0700

At 11:52 AM 10/11/2006, Dave Drum wrote:
>Well seasoned cast iron (like my Dutch Oven and 10" skillet) is nearly
>non-stick and not porous at all - although that coating is organic and
>not ceramic or chemical.

But it is permeable and can absorb stuff from cooking, like chiles.

>Le Creuset is enameled cast iron. Except the ones that are Teflon.
>(yes, I KNOW it's blasphemy).

Not to me.  I'm far to pragmatic a cook.  The real answer to the
question is that while the smell lasts a long time, little or no
spice remains to contaminate food cooked in that pot.

Not all of them are coated.  I've a couple Le Creuset pots (not
frying pans) that are plain iron on the inside.  Photographs on
request if you don't believe me. <g>

The problem is that the chile oil works its way into the seasoning
surface on the pot. The only way to get it out is clean off the
surface and  reseason.

                                           Scott Peterson

--
If architects designed buildings the