RE: [CH] Green Chile BBQ Sauce

Rael64 (z42dkm@yahoo.com)
Tue, 5 Feb 2008 17:54:30 -0800 (PST)

I hate to admit it, but that may make good sense (and
my hating to admit it is because I really really do
not like mustard other than dry as an ingredient, and
then in moderation, but I digress...).

Thinking out loud here, I think that green chiles need
a sauce that will carry the flavor of the chiles.  I
have been using a marinade I found in the recipe
selection from importfoods.com (a Thai food/supply
vendor I've mentioned on this list before), but I'm
pretty certain that green chiles wouldn't go well with
it because the ingredients themselves are pretty
dominating.

In other words, if you're looking for a BBQ that has
green chiles as the dominating flavor, which would be
the point (otherwise, why use green chiles? if it's
heat desired, get some good ground chiles), you'll
need a fairly bland sauce, i.e. one that's screaming
out for a dominator (or dominatrix, if you prefer)
chile, or one that will lend itself nicely to green
chile *flavor*.

So, yeah (gag), mustard based might work really well.
Then again, a vinegar based sauce may work if pretty
sweet so as to tone down the vinegar bite and allow
for the green chile flavor to marry.  Maybe sushi
seasoning or Mirin?  Fruit based sauce, say,
apple-green-chile?

Okay, just rambling now....

Peace, Hendrix, and Chiles.......
Rael

--- John Sphar <chilehead@pacbell.net> wrote:

> Hey JJK, I don't have a recipe, but i bet you can
> get one easily.  What I'm
> thinking about is a green chile mustard BBQ sauce.
> You know how mustard is,
> it's the biggerst part of sauces in the Carolina's I
> can't remember which,
> because they divide up one of those states into
> north-south. Never could
> figure that out. I bet you can make one of those
> with some pureed roasted
> green stuck in there!  You think?
> John

Looking for last minute shopping deals?