Re: [CH] Re: Evil corporate types

Jonathan Smillie (jonathan.smillie@gmail.com)
Tue, 03 Jun 2008 22:47:25 -0400

Dana H. Myers wrote:
> Rael64 wrote:
>> Oops.  I fergot this:  Many of those name-specific wines, cheese,
>> etc. are given
> > such protective status to ensure not only authenticity but, unlike a
> trademark,
> > a limitation of production (which, I assume, keeps prices high).
> Only a certain
> > amount of a specific wine (chianti, for example) is allowed.  Extra
> grapes/juice,
> > etc. must be left to rot, mixed, or whatever, and anything above and
> beyond the
> > limit cannot be called 'chianti.'
>
> Can't such wine just be declassified?  Not mixed, just labeled
> differently.
>
> Dana

With all due respect to the esteemed Chile Monk, some of his point is
not entirely correct. It's not that you can't produce all the Chianti
you want - but you can't call it Chianti if you make it in Calabria.
Likewise, if I feel like it I can distill a fine malt from toasted
barley (over peat, even) here in southern Indiana - but I can't call it
Scotch because it's not being made in Scotland.

And to Dana's point, that declassification is happening. See a wine in
the store labeled "Sangiovese"? That's Chianti without the regional label.