RE: [CH] any suggestions for apple (must be cooked)/cayenne concoction?

John Sphar (chilehead@pacbell.net)
Sun, 15 Jun 2008 09:20:33 -0700

You know now that I think of it, my favorite chile as an ingredient in apple
sauce is the Hatch green one. To me, that flavor really goes well with
apple. Wow, that's one of the only foods I know where I prefer mild chiles
..?..? Oh yeah except cornbread (same chile).

John S.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com
[mailto:owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com] On Behalf Of Jim Graham
Sent: Friday, June 13, 2008 7:49 AM
To: Chile Heads
Subject: [CH] any suggestions for apple (must be cooked)/cayenne concoction?

Might be a bit off-topic, but I see (from my procmail logs scrolling by)
that the fighting/bickering is still going on (all I see is a log entry
telling me the mail was directed to /dev/null, which for you non-Unix types,
is like a black hole...nothing that goes in can ever escape).

Ok...fresh/raw apples now appear to be on the danger list for my oral
allergy syndrome (foods trigger pollen allergies with, at least in my case,
a quick trip into anaphylaxis or full-blown anaphylactic shock).

So, I've got a whole bag of apples that I can't eat unless I cook them
(denatures the proteins that get confused with those in the true pollen
allergens, and the immune system doesn't trigger).

I'm also starting to get (in increasing quantities) cayennes that are nice
and red (of the peppers in my pepper garden, cayenne has always been, by
far, the first to produce good quantities of ripe peppers).

I'm just wondering how a cayenne-enhanced apple sauce would taste....
Does anyone have any thoughts on this?  Would that be a good combination of
mildly hot/sweet?  And if so, does anyone know how to make apple sauce from
fresh apples?

Later,
   --jim

--
73 DE N5IAL (/4)        | Peter da Silva:  No, try "rm -rf /"
spooky130@cox.net       | Dave Aronson:    As your life flashes before