Re: [CH] Re: chinense

Rael64 (z42dkm@yahoo.com)
Tue, 17 Jun 2008 19:34:01 -0700 (PDT)

Ah, scotch bonnets...

Wish I could remember the guy's full name (my apologies too if still on the list!), but Bill X was in TN, I think, when I was living in Oxford, MS.  He had these MONSTER scotch bonnet plants.  Sent me pics of them.  I"m talking 6+ foot tall plants.  Sent me bags and bags of scotch bonnets.  I dehydrated most (after freezing; worked really well as others here have noted).  I traveled all over with those chiles.  Used it (ground/flaked) in various restaurants I worked in.

I'm sure I told the story here before, but when in Austin, I cooked at one placed (now defunct) called the West Lynn Cafe.  Vegetarian faire, but somewhat upscale.  I worked the mornings/lunch shift mainly; lots of prep work for the night shift.  Anyway, 'round 2 in the afternoon, a server drops in with a ticket.  Stir fry dish (we had a couple variations; nothing spectacular, but they were fresh and had quite a variety of veggies).  I asked the server, 'how many stars?'  We worked with a 1-4 star heat scale.  He said 'she told me 4; wanted it real hot.' I said, 'tell her I've got some of my own stash here, some scotch bonnets; if she really means HOT HOT, I'll set her on fire.'  He left and came back in, saying something like 'she said you can't make it hot enough.'

Oh, my.  Can't make it hot enough?

Christ, my eyes were burning making that stir fry.  I probably put in 2 teaspoons of scotch bonnets.  Great flavor; monster heat.  I plated it and sent it on it's way.

The server popped in later and told me he had brought the woman her second pitcher of water.  Said she was sweating so much, it was dripping on the floor.  'But she said it's great, just what she wanted.'

How it should be.  Well pleased customer and well please line dog.  Twas a good day.

Damn good chiles.

Well, 'nuff email for one day, eh?

Peace, Hendrix, and Chiles.......
Rael64