RE: [CH] plain-text links (was Spam-bots)

Riley J. McIntire (Riley@ChileGarden.com)
Wed, 18 Jun 2008 17:29:25 -0700

KnoxBill [knoxbill@comcast.net] spake thusly on Wednesday, June 18, 2008
4:23 PM:

> Brent Thompson wrote:
>> My test message to verify this behavior absolutely positively
>> contained no extra characters, only a few random words with
>> 'http://blah-blah-blah' interspersed, and result was as always
>> before and as described above.

> interesting...we know that the blah link above is not in html, 'cos
> it's not allowed in the list, but thunderbird lets me click on it as
> tho it was...and in fact, takes me to "blah, blah, blah.com  -- your
> entertainment resource"...

It's _not_ html. It's an url, and different mail clients will handle it
different ways, even it text mode. In Tbird it's clickable, in mutt, it's
not. The mail client see's the http:// and may, or may not, display it as
clickable. On the other hand, whatever browser you use tried to resolve the
url, couldn't, so guessed that you meant to go to blah.com, a registered
domain.

Riley
--
"To be interested in the changing seasons is a
happier state of mind than to be hopelessly in