Re: Fw: [CH] Moderate Corps Roster

Doug Irvine (dougandmarie@shaw.ca)
Fri, 10 Jul 2009 09:40:20 -0700

Sandy Olson wrote:
> <Jim Campbell, moderate?  Okaayyy...>
>

> Well, Mark...that is by his own admission!  There are levels of
> moderations too, ya' know.  Bell pepper people are NOT moderate; they
> are mild.  Within the moderate persuasion, there are degrees of heat
> that the fire-eaters would not consider worth mentioning but that light
> the fires of our taste-buds.  Patron Saint Jim makes sauces that are
> most definitely moderate...flavorful, complex in depth and with a nice
> heat that sometimes lingers, sometimes disappears with the food it's
> attached to.  True...his hab powders and sauces are on the upper end of
> moderate and even lap over into hot but I haven't yet eaten one that has
> taken the skin off the roof of my mouth ;^)  Of course, I haven't eaten
> all of them but I DO like his "Firey Hot Habanero" which is nestling in
> my refrigerator door as we speak.

When we had him visit and we served him dinner, I did my spicy version
of Greek Chicken. Which I obviously did NOT make spicy enough, for he
mentioned that he thought anything I served would be really hot! So I
remedied that at breakfast! I still have some of his hab powder that he
labeled 10 HOT, and believe me, it is! After over 10 years or so, I
still have more than half that bottle. And let me disavow anyone of the
mistaken thought that chile powder at least Red Savina(tm), loses
potency after years! IT DOES NOT! At least Mr Campbell's!! ;-)
But, yeah...I do believe that his personal preference is for flavor as
opposed to heat just for the sake of heat. He does get enough heat with
his daytime job! But then I should not comment on Jim's personal
preference's....
Cheers, old Doug in BC