Re: [CH] Repeating repeating posts posts

Jim Graham (spooky130u@gmail.com)
Thu, 16 Jul 2009 14:19:43 -0500

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 02:15:09PM -0400, =Mark wrote:
> Maybe it comes up again and again because folks are getting tired of a
> continuing pointless waste of effort.  This is the 21st century and to
> [....]

Once more:  RTFM for whatever e-mail program you use---I can only help
someone who is using Mutt on any Unix variant (e.g., FreeBSD, Linux,
Mac OS/X---I think, and so on).  Look for the different reply options.
The default (which I have configured, per the default binding, to 'r')
sends a reply to the individual, UNLESS it recognizes a list that I've
defined in the headers, and then it asks me what to do.  A second option
(^G, I think...I very rarely use it) is the Group reply.  The third
option, and this is what you want to look for in your e-mail program, is
List reply ('L' in my config file), which replies to the list (if it sees
one) and NOT the individual(s).

Again, I only know Mutt, and certainly don't know M$ stuff anymore (nor
do I want to), but I can't imagine any modern e-mail program not having
a 'L'ist reply.  Just look for it.  If it isn't there, gripe at the
program's author until they add it and put out a new version (or at the
very least, a patch).

Then nobody will have to worry about it from either the side of having to
spend a few seconds doing edits, or having to setup a filter to nuke the
dupes that arrive.

Just trying to help out...no more, no less.  Well, actually, I've got
both "more" and "less" (most Unixes do these days), but that's another
story....  ;-}

Later,
   --jim

--
73 DE N5IAL (/4)        | DMR: So fsck was originally called
spooky130u@gmail.com    |      something else.