Re: [CH] A question about freezing peppers before drying them

JohnT (love2troll@gmail.com)
Sun, 15 Aug 2010 16:11:08 -0500

I think what Jim just posted is exactly right.  Most of what I grow
are thicker fleshed than cayennes and I slice them in half or even
thinner before freezing.  Even cayennes get sliced in half before
freezing and are dehydrated with the skin side down so the flavorful
juices don't drip out and be lost.  (not all that likely with cayennes
anyways)  Low temp drying is in IMO the way to go to preserve color
and flavor.  My final test is  when grinding for powder or flakes.
Either is dry enough or isn't.