Re: [CH] Dry Rubs

Dana Myers (dana.myers@gmail.com)
Wed, 02 Mar 2011 12:53:04 -0800

On 3/2/2011 11:38 AM, Jose Cisneros wrote:
> Hey Chile-Heads,
>
> I send this out to the list for all of you
> mad scientists chile-heads (alchemists?) such as I.
> Presently it is annoying a batch of baby-back pork
> ribs that will be strung on the rack of my Weber
> tomorrow.
>
> Jose's Recently Created Dry Rub Recipe
>
> 1/4 cup Guajillo powder
> 1/4 cup Spanish paprika powder
> 1/4 cup Ancho powder
> 1/4 cup jaggery sugar packed
> 2 tablespoons freshly ground mustard seed
> 1/4 cup freshly ground cumin seed
> 1/4 cup freshly ground black pepper
> 1/4 cup kosher salt
> 1/4 cup granulated garlic
> A tablespoon of Chipotle Morita powder ground
> together with a tablespoon of Jim's Mild to Wild
> Red Savina Habanero flakes ground fine in a coffee
> grinder.

Sounds like a fine rub.  I particularly like the use of Guajillo and Ancho
powder here - the Guajillo punches up the flavor and color without
blowing away the heat.

I noticed you are using fine-ground powders; this is easy to work with,
but I've found that including medium-grind increases the visual
appeal as well as provides some extra pop in the flavor when you're
chewing and bit into a cracked spice.

Here are some ribs I recently cooked:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31989099@N00/5492176307/

The color rendered lighter here than they actually were, but you get an
idea of the depth of visuals in the rub and sauce.  I used only a small amount
of coarse-ground Guajillo in the finishing sauce.

Cheers -
Dana