Re: [CH] Habs

Rich McCormack (macknet@cts.com)
Sat, 09 May 1998 06:33:54 -0700

Michael Bowers wrote:

> Habanero's in the late summer/early  fall (ie,in season), run about $1-2 US/lb
> at the farmers markets.  In the stores now, they are coming from Mexico (here
> in California), and they run $5-6/lb, and the heat is quite variable.  In
> summer the supermarket habs drop to maybe $3-4/lb....

A few month's ago, while visiting one of my local supermarkets (San
Diego County, CA), I asked the produce manager why the store never
stocked habaneros.  He said there just didn't seem to be a demand
for 'em but he'd look into it.

A couple of weeks later, while visiting the same store, I found
bagged habaneros (five of the little dudes to a bag, and I do mean
little) priced at $2.99 per bag.  A quick mathematical calculation
showed me the store was selling 'em for about $22.00 per pound...ouch!
I mentioned to the manager that the price was a bit steep and he sorta
shrugged his shoulders in a jesture that seemed to say "You asked
for 'em, you got 'em."  I continue to buy my habs elsewhere (usually
Henry's in Poway, formerly called Boney's...small local chain), where
I generally pay from 3 to 5 bucks a pound...when they're more than
5 bucks I don't buy 'em unless I'm desperate.

--
Rich McCormack (Poway, CA) macknet@cts.com

Who is Rich McCormack?  Find out at:
http://www.free.cts.com/crash/m/macknet/