Re: [CH] CH- Poll

Jonathan Smillie (jonathan.smillie@gmail.com)
Wed, 18 Jun 2008 15:36:10 -0400

JohnT wrote:
> JimC writes:
>> Here's my poll:  Who has got what in the ground (chiles) & how's it
>> doing?  Haven't even worked up the nerve to go see if I can answer my
>> own question yet :-)
>

> Not a darn thing!! Haven't put a plant "in the ground" since '84.
>

> AlexS writes:
>> The dill is out of control and the garlic chives are filling the yard
>> waste cans.
>
> Dill!!!  Once again I forgot to start a couple dill and tarragon plants.
> Planted 4 pickling type cukes this year (they taste terrible!) for
> fermenting and forgot that the recipe calls for those herbs.  It cost
> nearly
> $3 ea for tiny, tiny pkgs of a few sprigs. Plus it took 30+ miles and 4
> grocery stores to find.  The pickles are worth it though.
>

> Back to peppers....  Got the freshest possible rocoto seeds from CameronB
> last fall and the two plants look fantastic.  Blooming nicely, but no
> pods
> set yet.  We are enjoying a rather cool June this year so my fingers are
> crossed that will get some pods set before it gets too hot.  Picked a
> handful of 2nd year Scotch Bonnets this morning and I see some Datil
> and a
> cayenne type (from Tom Jefferson's garden) starting to turn color.
> Really
> hoping for a good crop of bird peppers this year.  4 plants going from
> Ian
> (England.. attends O.F.) and 2 second year plants from WillardB
> (Rogue) that
> gave me a handful of tiny pods last year.  (from Monticello too)  Also
> have
> some of my old fav 'pubes doing very well.  So happy to get seeds for my
> original 3 rocotos after having lost all my old plants when I got ill and
> had given all the seeds away.  Quite a few people responded to my seed
> request.
>
> jt

JT -

I planted dill this year for the first time at the request of my wife,
who likes it with salmon. I am yet to be convinced.

The chives contend with the mint for mastery of the herb patch, but the
oregano is staking a strong claim to at least a corner. And coming up on
the outside is rosemary, which also over-wintered (for the second year,
so I think I'd actually have to set that thing on fire if I wanted to
get rid of it - not that I do!) I also planted flat-leaf parsley (the
Italian kind), tarragon (for making my own tarragon vinegar among other
applications) and lemon thyme (which I don't much care for because it's
a low-growing, spreading plant and I am apt to step on it).

Having taken a well-deserved sort-of-day-off from work today, I mowed
and weed-whacked the lawn, then pulled out our eight or so lettuce
plants that have just got too tall and bitter. I then planted four new
basil plants (I've already got two) in our half-barrels on the patio.

So we should be fairly well supplied with the herbal side of things (and
no, I don't mean the smoking sort) come the late summer and fall.