Re: [CH] poblano soup

Bill Woodward (wpwood@gmail.com)
Fri, 1 Aug 2008 12:55:52 -0400

On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 11:51 AM, JohnT <love2troll@kc.rr.com> wrote:

> I think chicken stock is acceptable to vegans.

I'm pretty sure that's not the case.  Vegan often means (I won't say
always, but usually) no animal products in your food.  No dairy, no
cheese, no chicken stock.

When I was a practicing vegetarian, I found that I could make a lot of
vegetable soups vegetarian just by using vegetable broth instead of
chicken broth.  I never gave up cheese and other dairy, though.  I
could live without meat, but I couldn't live without cheese :)

Here's a vegetarian Cream of Poblano Soup I make that goes over very well.

 "Cream of Poblano Soup"

50 min | 20 min prep | SERVES 8 -12

A little bit spicy, creamy and green. This recipe was originally a
modification of the Leek and Potato Soup recipe presented on Good
Eats.
Ingredients

    * 1 1/2 lbs poblano peppers (5-6 large poblanos)
    * 1 medium yellow onion
    * heavy pinch kosher salt
    * 1 tablespoon olive oil
    * 1 1/2 lbs yukon gold potatoes (4 medium?) , peeled and diced small
    * 1 quart vegetable broth
    * 1 cup half-and-half
    * 1 cup buttermilk
    * salt and pepper

Directions

   1. Chop the onion and poblanos into small pieces.
   2. In a 6-quart saucepan over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Add
the onions and poblanos and a heavy pinch of salt and sweat for 10
minutes. Add the potatoes and the vegetable broth, increase the heat
to medium-high, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer
until the potatoes are soft, approximately 30 minutes.
   3. Turn off the heat and puree the mixture with an immersion
blender until smooth. Stir in the heavy cream, buttermilk, salt and
pepper.

Obviously, this is not vegan, and I don't think it would be nearly as
good without the dairy.

- Bill

--
Bill Woodward wpwood@gmail.com http://www.saifa.net

"I have more trouble with D. L. Moody than with any other man I ever
met." -- D. L. Moody
 s/D. L. Moody/Bill Woodward/g