Re: [CH] Light Them If You've Got Them

Dave Drum (dirty_dave@chillicooks.org)
Wed, 23 Jun 2010 20:50:36 -0500

On 6/23/2010 19:10, dan combs wrote:

> Smoked chicken sushi? Whoa. That sounds like something my friends Sam
> and Ella would like.

Sushi? Or sashimi? Most sushi is cooked AFAIK. Sometimes one will run
across someone with some really good tuna or some other fish and
you'll get sashimi (raw) seafood in your rice thingie. BTW, I've eaten
at Sam & Ella's a time or two. Not an experience I'd recommend.

I think sashimi chicken would be awf'ly chewy. Cleanliness in prep and
handling goes a long way toward keeping Sammy and his bride at bay.
And buying local free-range chooks not raised in a cage in a chicken
factory and processed on an ever speeding assembly line. Same works
with beef, pork and veggies ... but local and know the people you are
dealing with - or don't deal.

> Native Americans in Washington state and Oregon cold smoke salmon by the
> ton with load of success. I can hot-smoke it but that changes the
> texture and moisture to where it's kind of like being grilled. Mmmm.
> Cold smoked salmon. And cold smoked tuna is very good too.

Tuna is pretty damned good no matter how cooked or uncooked it is.  :D

I think the folks up where Jim Weller is smoke (cold and otherwise)
char (cousin of salmon/trout) and other things over alder wood.

--
ENJOY!!!

 From Uncle Dirty Dave's Kitchen
Home of YAAAAHHHHOOOOAAAAHHHH Hot Sauce & Hardin Cider

... Sanity is a madness put to good use. -- George Santayana