Re: [CH] Spice mill or grinder - Follow-up

J. Patrick Donohoe (donohoe@ECE.MsState.Edu)
Thu, 30 Sep 2010 08:59:41 -0500

  On 9/30/2010 7:51 AM, Jonathan Smillie wrote:
> The other question I have is (and the VitaMix approach might deal with
> this) - I find that no matter how well I dehydrate my chiles, after
> the powder has sat around in jars or bags for a while, it tends to
> clump a bit because of residual moisture (either in the chiles or
> perhaps local humidity). There's the old trick of putting a few grains
> of rice in with the powder to absorb moisture, but has anyone done
> anything a bit more high-tech? Food-grade silica gel, for example?
> What have you had your best results with?

Not high tech, but, as I have mentioned before, I mix in ground oatmeal
with my pepper powder (ground very fine) and it works great (about 1
part ground oatmeal to 4 parts ground peppers).  The oatmeal gives the
powder a silky consistency, and the powder doesn't clump at all, even in
dispensers (shakers with wide holes in the top) that sit out all of the
time.

J. Patrick Donohoe, Ph.D, P.E.
Professor
Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Mississippi State University
Box 9571
Mississippi State, MS 39762

        Email: donohoe@ece.msstate.edu